Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Podcast Review: Inside Out Weight Loss by Renee Stephens

Image courtesy of the Stock Exchange

I'll preface this review  by stating something that will probably be obvious from my profile - I'm a little weird. I spent most of my adult life as an Eclectic Pagan (right down to the pentacle tat over my heart chakra) - I'm not actually sure if that identity label still applies to me now, but I haven't found a better one yet, so I'll hang onto it for the moment. I do, however, still have a strong belief in the interconnectedness of mind, body and spirt; and I still use the word "energy" in a way that makes my friend, who has a doctorate in physics (the orthodox kind of physics, NOT the new age kind, and yeah, they're different), visibly twitch.

All of which explains why the whole concept of the Inside Out Weight Loss podcasts by Renee Stephens works so well for me. Caveat Emptor - your mileage may well vary.


THE BIG CONCEPT: PODCAST OVERVIEW

Inside Out Weight Loss (IOWL) is a very different kind of podcast to many of those I've found on iTunes (my primary podcast source).  It's about weight loss and fitness, yes, but it almost never talks about food or exercise. And before you roll your eyes, that's not because the host, Renee Stephens, thinks they're not important; but as she so frequently says, there are plenty of other podcasts out there that cover nutrition, diet plans, ways to move your body, and the physical aspects of losing weight.  What's missing - although some podcasts do touch on this, none seem to focus on it - is something that looks at the inner journey.

Here's the rationale. Most of us who've tried to lose weight over and over aren't missing information. We *know* what to do - we know what's good for our bodies and what isn't.  We just don't do it. Merely throwing more information at ourselves means we just have more information we don't do anything with.  Inside Out Weight Loss, on the other hand, starts from the inside. Episode by episode, it helps us to explore the reasons we overeat (or eat badly) and underexercise in the first place, and then gives us practical tools - often involving NLP and/or hypnosis techniques - to make inner changes.


THE DETAILS: LENGTH, STRUCTURE AND COST

Most podcasts are about 20-25 minutes long, split in two with an ad for something (usually one of the products on Renee's site) in the middle.  As of writing this review, all podcasts - including those in the archives - are completely free.



HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LISTENING

Probably about a year now. This is one that I expect to stick with because I really do get a lot out of it. I try to listen to each episode as it comes out, and I've taken to going back through the archives and listening to the early episodes as well, since they have a lot of good information in them, and they make great companions when I'm walking or driving.



WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT


First up, I like the whole concept of IOWL. As someone who believes that mind, body and spirit are all bound up together, I don't see nearly enough podcasts that work from - or even acknowledge - this viewpoint. Most of them are way too caught up in how to do particular exercises, or which diet plan works best for what result.  Secondly, I like that - for me at least - despite being about inner work, Renee rarely goes off into what I call "affirmation-land". Change in IOWL is actually about doing inner work and letting the changes flow through to behaviour in the outer world. I'ts not about telling yourself everything is perfect when it's clearly not, or writing affirmations on your mirror and expecting changes to somehow magically happen.

I should also mention that I like Renee herself, as a host.  She comes off as a warm, caring, sincere person with a great sense of energy to her voice; and she's not afraid to talk about her own screwups or historical issues (and oh yeah, she has them) to illustrate some of her points. At times, her energy can almost seem too much to me, but that's probably just a culture clash with me being a Kiwi, since I've had the same feeling from other American podcasters as well.



WHAT I'M NOT SO KEEN ON 


The only real criticism I have of these podcasts is a minor niggle - the structure doesn't work for me.  I know from a marketing psychology viewpoint exactly why they're structured as they are, and I know Renee is running a business and don't begrudge her that. That said, I find that dropping me out of the flow of the podcast to tell me about one of the products and then trying to just pick up where we left off feels... jarring - especially in an otherwise relaxing podcast - and so far, it hasn't convinced me to try any of the products.



WHERE YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT

IOWL is available over on iTunes - in fact, it was the top result to come up when I did a search on "weight loss and fitness podcasts", which says something.  Or, if you don't have iTunes, you can find the podcasts (all the way back to Episode 0) over on her website at Personal Life Media.com.


So, what (if any) podcasts do you listen to regularly?

7 comments:

orannia said...

Would you be at all surprised if I said I've never listened to a podcast? I'm not actually sure if I know what one is...

Renee Stephens' podcasts sound...interesting. Probably not for me *grin* but interesting.

I'ts not about telling yourself everything is perfect when it's clearly not, or writing affirmations on your mirror and expecting changes to somehow magically happen.

I guess for some people that works...but, not for me.

Starfire said...

@Orannia - podcasts are audio (or sometimes now, video) files that you listen to or watch on your computer or MP3 player. They're often much like listening to a radio show or watching a TV documentary show. They can be educational, entertaining, or both - I tend to play them in the car as I drive, or when I'm out on long walks, because I can only listen to my half-marathon playlist so many times before I start getting sick of the songs, and podcasts allow me to learn something while I'm listening, so it's like killing two birds with one stone.

WRT to the affirmations and positive thinking, I'm not honestly sure that works for *anyone* in isolation (and on the occasions it does work, I strongly suspect it's because the change in thinking prompts a change in behaviour, rather than any kind of magical results). That's why I like the fact that despite recognising the connection between mind and body, IOWL relies on more practical exercises.

But absolutely - it's an approach that won't work for everyone. It would be a boring world if we were all the same :-)

Kirsten said...

i'm with orannia in that i'm a podcast virgin. ((shock)). i'm not opposed to it, i've just always used my me-alone-in-the-car time as really loud music time. same therapeutic affect. :)

Kirsten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
orannia said...

Thank you kechara. Maybe one of these days I'll learn how to download and listen to a podcast :) Ain't technology grand?

Starfire said...

@RNT Girl - you know, you're actually not the only other person (aside from Orannia, I mean) to tell me that today. It's funny - I've been listening to podcasts for so long now... pretty much since I got my first iPod, whenever that was... that I didn't realise so many people had no idea that they existed!

Just goes to show the truth of the old saw about asses and umptions, no?

@Orannia - well, if you ever decide you have the need, let me know and I'll be happy to show you/talk you through it. If you're already using iTunes with your iPhone, it's a pretty simply process. But hey, if you haven't felt the lack up till now then I'm thinking your life isn't likely to be incomplete without them ;-)

cut the fat podcast said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.