Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Woohoooo! Let's call this one "restarting as I mean to go on", shall we?

 Image courtesy of The Stock Exchange

 


I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me when I got back from my run this morning.  You see, Tuesday has become my weekly weigh-in day; and I was hoping, given all the exercise and being sensible with my eating that I've been doing, that I might have lost another couple of hundred grams (half a pound, if you're American).

Apparently, I did better than that. 1.1kg down. In a week. I can't quite describe just how awesome this makes me feel.  So I'm now sitting on 82.4kg (181ish lb), which is the first time I've been under 83kg since... sometime around 2005-2006. So I'm pretty proud and pleased with myself.

But you know, that's not ALL I'm proud of. I'm also proud:
  • ... that I'm keeping in mind that really, this is just one step in a journey that I fully intend to last for the rest of my life. Yes, I'll probably blow out calorie-wise sometimes. In fact, no, not probably - definitely. It's going to happen. But I'm remembering that I'm in this for the long-haul, and that it's what I do every day that's important, not the occasional lapse.
  • ... that what I've accomplished over the past week has happened WITHOUT any restricting myself foodwise. Have I been tracking my intake? Yes, absolutely, and I want to do a post later this week on the method I'm using. Have I been saying "no" to goodies that I'd kinda, sorta like to be saying "yes" to? Yeah, I totally have.  But my whole aim has been to look at what my body seems to need to maintain my current weight, and then just have very slightly less than that (I'm aiming to go about 100-150 calories under maintenance), while still getting all the nutrients I need to stay healthy and feel good.  Any energy deficit beyond that has come from exercise that I'm doing, not to "lose weight" but because I enjoy doing it. THAT feels like a long-term strategy to me.
  • ... that this marks over a year of a journey I started last September at 93kg, and not once during that time have I gone back to the destructive dieting habits of my sleeping "beast in the dark" (the name I give my borderline eating disorder tendencies - if you're interested in why, check out this entry I wrote back in 2005).  I don't have the words to describe what a huge achievement that feels for me - to be honest, next to this, losing 1kg in a week just pales.

So yes. This is me, Starfire, celebrating my little butt off for what I've managed to achieve this week.  Not every week's going to go like this - I know that full well - but that just makes it even more important to celebrate the times that it does.

Hope everyone out there is have just as awesome a week!

Take care



Starfire

4 comments:

theamazingcatherine said...

Um, two thumbs up!

Go Starfir3!

Traveller said...

Congratulations!

In my weightloss quest, I've stopped the climb. I just need to get the trend established in the downward direction.

orannia said...

Absolutely brilliant kechara. For losing the weight, yes, but for doing it healthily and sensibly.

I'm still in the slipping phase ATM...

Starfire said...

*soft smile* - thanks for the comments, everyone.

@Catherine - yay! How are you, lass? Hope things are going better than last time :-)

@Traveller - sometimes, just stopping the climb is a victory in and of itself. So well done on that, and good luck on taking the next steps when you're ready for them

@Orannia - maybe your body needs to settle at a point that's right for it? Sometimes the weight we want to be isn't the one that's right for our bodies... I know that was the case for me when I wanted to get down to 65kg in the UK - even those the charts maintain that 54-67kg is healthy for my height, I know from experience that 67kg is just WAY too low for my body. Just a thought...