Sunday, November 14, 2010

Running (and everything else) roundup - Week 1

Image courtesy of the Stock Exchange
My exercise goal for each week in November was 2,500cal worth of exercise burn, and I'm deliriously happy to report that I more than exceeded that this week.  I was also aiming to cover at least 40km between walking and running each week.

NOTE: when I call something a "running session" below, I'm really not running the whole way. Basically, I'm working my way through the Bridge to 10k programme, or at least a modified version thereof, so my running sessions are actually broken up into 3 sets of x-minute runs, separated out with with a 1-2 minute walk. Session times also incorporate my warmup and cooldown walking time. That said, ladies and gents, allow me to present my Week 1 in review:
  • Monday 8 Nov:  morning 7.3km running session; evening Jillian Michaels cardio + yoga DVDs. Daily burn: 1,103
  • Tuesday 9 Nov: 5.5km walk. Daily burn: 356
  • Wednesday 10 Nov: morning 7.3km running session; evening 8.5km walk with a friend. Daily burn: 1,127
  • Thursday 11 Nov: REST DAY (needed like whoah)
  • Friday 12 Nov: morning 7.9km running sesssion; evening, Bob Harper strength training DVD. Daily burn: 991
  • Saturday 13 Nov: 9.6km walk doing errands: Daily burn 628
  • Sunday 14 Nov: 11.6km running session, incorporating Kelly's 5k challenge. Daily burn: 844


So for my overall week's exercise, I did 9 sessions, with a combined total of 4,049 calories. Yeah, I think I rocked that goal. I also covered 58km, of which distance I actually ran a little over 24km.  *blinks*  WHOAH. Seriously? That's... kinda crazy.

I think this week is going to be a bit more sedate. For a start, this weekend I have a wedding to go to in another city, so I'll probably get to exercise Saturday OR Sunday, but not both.  Also, I suspect that given that I've increased my mileage from 43km last week to 58km this week, it would behoove me to make sure I do a lower mileage week before my joints put in a complaint to their union rep.  I also expect to have more than one rest day this week, which is probably no bad thing from a balance viewpoint either.

That said, I still want to aim for somewhere around that 40km mark. There are several Daily Mile challenges I've signed myself up to - not to mention the HBBC (Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge), whose logo you'll see on the righthand panel of this blog - so while I want to reduce the total distance, I don't want to drop it tooo far unless my body starts genuinely telling me it needs me to.

So that was my week. How did everyone else go with their exercise goals?

2 comments:

orannia said...

That's a very big week!

Hmmm, it's like you said in the previous post - it's about finding the balance...between reaching your goals and not adversely affecting your body (whether individual parts or holistically :)

As for me, I walked (with the odd jogging interval on Saturday) for an hour, so my total for the week was 2 hours. No where near your total, but...I'm happy :) Now I just need to keep it up!

Starfire said...

It was a bit of a crazy week, wasn't it? Much as I'd love to do this kind of thing every week, I know that's going way off the balance charts, so this week should be a little quieter.

Good on you for your walks - you have a hell of a lot more going on in your life and a lot more than you HAVE to get done than I do, so personally, I think 2 hours is AWESOME work !