Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ups and Downs - c'est la vie, I guess


Image courtesy of http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1093387

The past few days have been a mixed bag when it comes to diet and exercise.

For a start, something I ate Friday night violently disagreed with me all night (and much of Saturday) which had both positive and negative repercussions. On the (sort of) positive side, I pretty much didn't eat anything all Saturday. On the (definitely) negative side, after almost no sleep and the aforementioned inability to eat anything, I was also in no condition to go hiking with my team for our Trailwalker training walk either.

Sunday saw me all but recovered though, so I decided to go for a long-ish walk within the city on my own, and went for a wander around to a friend's place. The route ended up being 11.5km (I have no idea what that is in miles... I'm guessing somewhere around 7 1/2) over mild hilly terrain; and including the time it took me to stop and wait for various lights to change, it was just under 3 hours, with a calorie burn of 1,150.

I was semi-healthy eating-wise for the day as well - certainly I could have done better, but I could have done a lot worse as well. So I'm officially writing the weekend up as a partial victory.

Monday was a complete rest day from exercise - mainly because I was having something called an 'oesophageal manometry and 24-hour impedance study' done to see if they can narrow down the cause of the cough o' doom that's been plaguing me and stopping me sleeping since back in January now. This involve sticking tubes down my nose and throat and leaving them there for 24 hours, then instructing me to 'go away and do everything I'd normally do'. Unfortunately, many of the things I'd normally do (including eating normally) were rendered impossible by the dificulty swallowing, talking and breathing around the damn tube... so I ended up eating less, and more slowly than I normally would... which probably isn't a bad thing.

Yesterday I had the tube taken out, and spent the day waiting for the resultant soreness in the back of my throat to pass. Which meant I didn't eat as much as I normally would (again), but at the same time, also meant I didn't make it to the gym. I did, however, walk in to work and back, so with that and my usual wandering around in the course of daily life, I managed to clock 4km on the pedometer: not great, but far better than nothing.

I'd planned on going to boxing this morning, but to be honest, when the alarm went off at 5.15, I was just in no condition push myself. So I promised myself I'd walk in to work again today (and maybe walk home again for lunch if the weather doesn't pack in). Work and back twice will give me a total of 6km for the day, before daily wanderings are added into the mix. So if I can do that and then use today as a chance to focus in on my eating... eating mindfully and choosing foods that are more healthy, rather than less; I think that overall, I'll be able to chalk up the day on the side of success.

Blessings


Starfire

No comments: