Tuesday, December 7, 2010

OOOPS! Did we forget to factor our *holiday* into those goals, Starfire?

So I've just got back from an amazing long weekend holiday break with my husband to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary in the gorgeous Bay of Islands.

We stayed in Paihia, in a little B&B called Morepork Lodge.  And we had an AWESOME time. We saw lots, did lots, learned lots, read lots... and of course, as you do, ate lots.  It wasn't tooooo bad.  I kept my food intake reasonably semi-healthy most days (except yesterday. Yesterday, there was a sinfully rich seafood chowder that was... well, I'll start by saying that it was divine, that it came in what amounted to a buttery cob trencher, and that it basically seemed to be the bastard lovechild result of a gastronomical orgy between butter, cream, cheese, wine and fish... and then try very, very hard to just leave it there), but I decided that it was going to be too hard to track food while I was up there, so I just... didn't.  And because of that, I know that quantity-wise, I ate a lot more at each meal than I'd got into the habit of eating since I started tracking. Because the portions I tend to automatically use out of habit are NOT the portions that are assumed in "per serving" nutrient breakdowns.  Thus no tracking pretty much = more food, see?

I also tried to keep the exercising up, with various degrees of resulting success.  Our B&B host loved walking, so I got him to show me a couple of nice local walks on two of the days I was there. They weren't the kind of long walks I'm used to (one was 8km, which was OK, the other was somewhere between 3-4km), but at least they involved movement. And they were pretty, and filled with much scenic.  So that was all good. And the other two days, I managed to sneak in a little walking on top of all the incidental exercise we got through the various tours and stuff we did.  I didn't, however manage to get ANY running in while I was there. It just didn't happen. I probably could have made it happen if I'd been a bit more dedicated, but I didn't. It is what it is.

So the result of not factoring the holiday into my goals?  Well, basically, the first week of December is, I think, pretty much a write-off goalswise. I refuse to let this ruin the fact that the holiday was amazing; but at the same time, I don't do myself any favours by making excuses or trying to pretend that I did better than I did. And I did, after all, say that I was aiming to have one week with reduced mileage, back when I set my December goals.  I wasn't planning for that to be the first freakin' week of the month. But hey. Again, it is what it is.  And if I end up having two weeks of reduced mileage? So be it.

On that note, I'm not expecting anything pretty from the scales when I do my weekly weigh-in tomorrow. But, y'know what? That'll be what it'll be too.  If I've put a couple of kilos back on? Well, then, I've put a couple of kilos back on. Contrary to what my inner melodrama queen may wish to say on the matter, this will not, in fact, cause the earth to tilt on its axis, the sun to eclipse, the rocks to melt or the seas to boil. I'll just have an extra couple of kilos to take back off.

I'm just hoping I can remember this philosophical attitude tomorrow morning when I step on the damn scales...

2 comments:

orannia said...

Your holiday sounds absolutely lovely. And...as someone I know says...life happens and, well, it's about allowing those moments and then getting back into a routine :) Plus...treats once in a while shouldn't be verboten.

Starfire said...

The holiday *was* gorgeous, thanks kechara. I was thinking of doing an LJ post about it, but really, I've tweeted/posted all the key bits already... maybe I'll just leave it at that :-)

I'm totally a fan of treats once in a while... it's just when you have 5 days in a row of them that consequences start happening. But you're absolutely right - the important thing is to get back on with it now. And, having just got back from a ~15km walk to take library books back and then some, I'm feeling pretty happy with my ability to do that :-)